Sunday, March 2, 2008

Snake Keeps Dogging Local Family

welp, see ya later!

A friend of mine recent brought to my attention a news story out of Australia where a python ate a family's dog while their children watched. Apparently the snake had been stalking the dog for a while and finally decided it was time to take him down. While the snake was eating him the family tried to save the dog by throwing chairs at it to no avail.

This whole situation raises a number of questions in my mind. First of all, why didn't the family report the snake when they noticed it stalking their dog in the first place? It was also reported that it had partially eaten their cat as well as their guinea pig. Are pythons so common in Australia that you don't report them until your dog is inching it's way toward their center? Seems to me that if I saw a large snake hanging around my house I'd probably think about getting it removed, if not for my dog's safety, maybe for the safety of my small children (aged 5 and 7). The father said he feared for his children's life, but apparently only until it was eating their dog. Maybe up until then he thought it might make a good replacement pet for the guinea pig and cat that bit the dust.

I like that the family tried to throw chairs at the snake. Was this Stone Cold Steve Austin's family by any chance? Maybe the Undertaker's? I have an idea for the nervous father: how about you take your two young children into the house instead of angering a giant python by throwing plastic chairs at it. Perhaps we shouldn't let them be scarred for life. Just a thought.

[The Canadian Press]

No comments: