Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Long Standing Issue with Paula Abdul

I've held this in as long as I could (that's what she said), but seeing the video for "Opposites Attract" on the VH1 top 100 songs of the 90's has reignited it. It's not so much that I personally take issue with the video for Opposites Attract. I don't mind it that much. But moms and anti-smoking people around the US should have been pissed that Paula Abdul doesn't like cigarrettes, but the cool cartoon cat "likes to smoke".

What a great role model this cartoon is. He's clearly sweet, I mean he's definitely banging Paula Abdul (at the height of her stardom no less). But is it necessary for him to be pro-tobacco. If I'm a little dude I'm thinking if I want hotties to love me I definitely need to smoke AND rap, then it's a done deal. When I was watching the commentary on VH1 they never mentioned this, but they did mention that the cat was supposed to get his own cartoon show at some point. Imagine on Saturday morning your kid is watching cool cat smoke cigs and shoot pool, just like daddy before he went to prison. Real classy Paula, real classy.



Note: This video won a grammy. Not only do they approve but they think it's worth awarding. Nice.

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Tom,

I just read the last three months worth of your blog and I am left with one conclusion: You are the reason America Rulez.

charliedumdum said...

thank you jimmy. glad to know you support me.

Jarrod said...

Let's not be rude, he has a name. MC Skat Kat. Which should obviously add a whole other level of disapproval.

charliedumdum said...

Yeah, maybe skat isn't the best adjective to use for a role model. Although skatman was pretty big around this time, but that's a whole other issue.