Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mad Men: Is this show good?


I obviously have netflix. I also listen to podcasts and read blogs and pretty much absorb all the media I can all day. Many of these mediums have told me that Mad Men is a great show, so I decided to get it conveniently mailed to my house.

I don't know...I just don't know.

I mean it's certainly an interesting show and there is lots of drama unfolding. I also understand that it's a period piece and times were quite different then. But I can't help but get the feeling that everyone in this show is a horrible horrible person. Seriously. Draper's wife is literally the only one who isn't at least a little scummy, but every time I see her I'm afraid she'll crash a car or have some mishap because of her shaky hands. I've only seen four episodes and Draper is cheating all over the place, everyone is cheating all over the place, the dudes are super scummy, even the nice girl lets some scummy dude sleep with her, and it's kind of depressing. Man. It shakes my moral core.

Shit, and now Draper apparently has a super weird past. Just when you start to feel bad for Pete Campbell he's asking his wife to bang dudes so he can get published. Plus that weird little kid of the divorced chick. That's it, I'm done.

Right after this next episode.

What do you guys think? Anything?

2 comments:

Webomatica said...

I'm a big fan of the show - you raise a good point about all the characters having serious flaws. I think it's a statement on the society they live in - the strict gender rules where men have all the freedoms and women have constricted roles makes the characters into sad, conflicted individuals. The real beauty of the show is likely going to be a few seasons from now, as the show moves further into the sixties. Yes, that's going to take a while - the show does not move quickly.

charliedumdum said...

That's true. I guess I just didn't realize how different not only their behavior but their whole mentality was back then. I've decided not to view these characters as some sort of model for living or even someone that I want to 'root' for and just enjoy the drama of the proceedings.